Established 2003. Now incorporating The Sudbury Hill Harrow and Wherever End Times

Thursday, November 20, 2003

A nice walk around London, with about 200,000 friends

We set out about 1:30 p.m. and made our way to Malet Street, by an unnecessarily tiresome route of Simon's devising. The march was supposed to start at 2 o'clock but it didn't move till about 3. When you're in the middle of the crowd you can't tell how many there are, I merely note that there were people on all sides for as far as I could see. By the time our part of the procession reached Waterloo Bridge it was 5 o'clock and the sun had set.



Oh, did you want some tedious pictures of placards? Here's one made out of pretzels. You ain't nothin' but a Hoondog.

It was nearly 6 p.m. when we reached Trafalgar Square. There were speeches and music. Here's part of what George Galloway had to say: listen (1.29 mb.) Here is a message from the wife of a US soldier set to stay in Iraq till next June: listen (648 kb.) And this is the Ballad of Joe Hill: listen (969 kb.)

Report: F. Mooney. Pictures: O. Lennon. Sound: S. Moribund.
A Creaking Hips production in association with Double Pneumonia.

1 comment:

Comments 2003-2004 said...

___________________________



I am disappointed you didn't show my picture. I made my placard "Mrs Berries Against the Kyoto Protocol and For Global Warming."

I'm a martyr to my lumbago and I must say I enjoy these hot sunny November days. They are a tonic. I look forward to sitting on the beach at Canvey Island at Christmas in a year or so when this global warming really gets going.

Post by : Mrs Berries (webcacheh10a.cache.pol.co.uk / )


___________________________



I got the webcam image from Trafalgar Square at 3:30 this afternoon but saw about the same number of people as you would on a nice day in June. I didn't realise that the march was still enroute.
Nice photo of lights and Thames: if only it really were such a paradise.

Post by : Voyeur O'Mara (1cust15.tnt4.ottawa.on.da.uu.net / )



___________________________